A harsh title? Maybe. But I wanted to get a few wee things off this flat chest of mine. In particular, the New Year’s Resolutions everyone seems to make and follow for the month of January then forgets about for the rest of the year. I’m pretty sure I’ve written a post similar to this? But let’s go again with fresh eyes.
Examples of Resolutions that are dropped in a month
- Eat healthier
- Exercise more
- Drink less
- Save more money
- Go on more holidays
Yes, everyone wants to do all of the above but what’s the point in not continuing them throughout the year. If you don’t feel like you’re fulfilling something to the best of your ability, don’t put pressure on yourself, but don’t give up altogether! It’s so much better to make small changes rather than going cold turkey and changing everything in your life at once.
Think about what you want to achieve in 2019 and what steps you’ll need to take to get there. Let’s take saving money for instance, if you’re serious about saving money, make sure you’re saving FOR something in particular, not just a rainy day. A lot of my friends are starting to buy houses which is amazing and gives them a goal to work towards when it comes to saving. Another is moving to Australia, another to London (all my friends seem to move to London, don’t leave me hereeee). Set up a direct debit from your current account to another account that you can’t touch, e.g. I have a Revolut card as well as a separate bank account that DOES NOT come with a card, which means I can’t drunkenly take £30 out. I use them both to save for different cases. The bank account with no card is my moving fund and the Revolut account is spending money for when I’m in Dublin, London or my upcoming trip to Madrid.
What I want to achieve this year
This is going to sound dark but I think I have settled for things that don’t make me happy? Something that really started to get me down as 2018 came to a close was the fact that I STILL haven’t moved away from Belfast. My friends are 100% sick of hearing it from me but when I think about it, I feel anxious af. I was never the home bird of my family, I always wanted to move away but never got the chance. In 2019, it is my top aim to move to a different city, whether it’s Dublin or London, I need something different. I have itchy feet!
I suppose all of the resolutions I am setting myself revolve around my happiness.
- Finally cut the people who have made me feel like shit out of my life. 2018 was definitely an eye opener when it came to people I thought I could trust, but that’s something I don’t want to explain to the world because it would be talking about someone else’s personal life. However, I think 2019 will be the time to tell friends how I really feel and let them know who I can rely on.
- Find a city I love. I’m a country girl, I grew up in the countryside, my parents still live there but I think city life is the one for me. I love city breaks and working in a city so I would love to move to a new one as I have previously mentioned.
- Finally move on with my career into something I am passionate about and interested in. I’ll be 24 in April which gives me the fear (lol). I don’t see 24 as old but I see it as an age where I should be living my best life.
- Stop listening to what other people want for me and do want I want for myself. I’ve listened to other people my whole life and I can sincerely say I am a ‘people pleaser’ and I want to be more of a ‘Katie pleaser’.
- Take my blog to the next level. You have no idea the stress relief that comes with writing a post for my blog. Even as I write this post I’m excited to hit publish and move on to scheduling another post. Having my blog makes me so so happy! People ask if I would ever go full time but I can’t see myself doing that in the coming years. Honestly, career-wise I want to stick to marketing and communications for a while. Part of me has no clue where to go from here to expand my blog…I see so many bloggers starting YouTube channels and I would absolutely love to do that but my life is not exciting so I don’t know if people would want to see me going to work and sitting at a desk from 9-5, Monday to Friday. Maybe when I move my life will be more exciting so we’ll see but for now I’ll continue writing, forcing Caolan to take my photos and forever trying to figure out Instagram.
I’d love to know what some of your New Year’s Resolutions are!